- A Platform for Privacy-preserving Federated Machine Learning using Blockchain to enable Operational Improvements in ATM
- Consortium: SITA EWAS APPLICATION SERVICES S.L. (Project coordinator), Nommon Solutions and Technologies, Scaleout Systems, Swiss International Air Lines and EUROCONTROL.
- 2020 – 2022
AICHAIN looks for enhancing ATM systems by articulating an advanced privacy-preserving federated learning architecture in which neither the training data nor the training model need to be exposed. This will be possible thanks to the combination of two emerging technologies: FedML and Blockchain technologies.
AICHAIN a is a research project funded under SESAR 2020 Exploratory Research. The project proposes an innovative Digital Information Management (DIM) concept -the AICHAIN solution- that aims at enabling the cyber-secured exploitation of large private data sets that belong to different stakeholders and that contain valuable information for ATM operations.
To overcome the stakeholders’ reluctance to share sensitive data, the exploitation will not be performed by exchanging the data itself but by articulating an advanced privacy-preserving federated learning architecture in which neither the training data nor the training model need to be exposed. This will be possible thanks to the innovative combination of two emerging DIM technologies: Federated Machine Learning (FedML) and Blockchain technologies.
The specific objectives have been structured in three areas of research:
- The DIM technological solution: to define the AICHAIN solution architecture as a potential SESAR technology enabler for the exploitation of private data value, and to implement a functional small-scale prototype for user validation and operational value experimentation.
- The operational value of the DIM solution: to demonstrate and quantify the operational value of the AICHAIN concept with an ATM use case in the area of A-DCB services.
- The governance & incentives aspects: to develop an incentive mechanism that addresses the motivational aspects of the data owners in order to facilitate the adoption and the effective utilisation of the AICHAIN concept.
This project has received funding from the SESAR Joint Undertaking (JU) under grant agreement No 894162. The JU receives support from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme and the SESAR JU members other than the Union. © 2020 AICHAIN Consortium.